- Rhymes: -ɔː(r)ɡ
- Swedish: borg
- A member of a fictional humanoid race in the Star Trek
- usage note: Almost never employed in the plural within Star Trek novels and films. (In the Star Trek: Voyager episode, "Infinite Regress", Seven of Nine says "Borg? I hate Borgs" while playing kadis-kot with Naomi Wildman.)
- One who proselytises or assimilates.
- 2005:"Go for the fun of it (yes, I am one of the Borgs) and don't let equipment bother you. Just remember this even when the Borgs assimilate you." — http://www.varp.net/photos/altindex.html
Translations* Swedish: borg
- to assimilate rivals, via corporate acquisition or religious
- 2003:"NYTIMES - Microsoft trying to borg google." — http://groups.yahoo.com/group/silk-list/message/9479?viscount=100
- 2004:"The Christians could afford to spend generations converting northern Europe and that's exactly what they did. We have that example from history. We know there are other faiths out there that want to wipe us out, and there are other faiths out there that want to Borg us. The fact that some are still here after decades means we aren't giving in this time, and you're one of the ones here over a decade." — http://www.talkaboutreligion.com/group/alt.religion.asatru/messages/130372.html
- 2004:"They are trying to turn you into them. They are trying to borg us." — http://forums.darkenbane.com/showpost.php?p=46395&postcount=1
- to turn into a cyborg, to implant machinery into people with the intent of controlling or assimilating them
- Use of other than the infinitive is rare. Lowercase spelling also occurs, less commonly.
- barrow (castrated boar)
Things called Borg or borg include:
- Borg Bryggerier — a Norwegian brewery
- Borg — a placename within Vestvågøy municipality, Norway.
- Borg is the homestead built by first-generation Iceland settler Skalla-Grímr Kveldúlfsson and the home to Egill Skallagrímsson, the famous Viking and skald. The peninsula on which it is located is called Borgarnes.
People known by the family name Borg include:
- Anders Borg — a Swedish politician
- Anita Borg — a historical computer scientist.
- Björn Borg — a Swedish tennis player
- Joe Borg — a Maltese politician
- Oscar Borg — a Norwegian composer
- Marcus Borg — a religious scholar
- Richard Borg designer of games such as Memoir '44
- Gerard James Borg, a Maltese songwriter
Companies and products named Borg:
- Borg Warner automotive supply company.
- Borg — a synthetic cloth or fabric made by the Borg textile corporation of Georgia
Other uses of Borg:
- Borg — A term used in the internet browsergame Travian. Borg is used as a label of a merciless and complete kamikaze effort to kill troops in an attack. Named after the 187 player "BORG", for repeated occurrences of this strategy, and is now given as a badge of honour to those that follow him.
- Borg — "Bundesoberstufenrealgymnasium" - Austrian name for state-run high schools focussed on technical education.
- Lawrence Springborg - Australian politician also know as "The Borg".
- Borg scale - in sports science, a measurement of perceived exertion
- Borg — a common Maltese family name.
Borg in German: Borg
Borg in French: Borg
Borg in Indonesian: Borg (disambiguasi)
Borg in Dutch: Borg
Borg in Norwegian: Borg
Borg in Low German: Borg
Borg in Polish: Borg
Borg in Swedish: Borg (olika betydelser)
Borg in Chinese: 博格